It has been a rather lazy Sunday and with a messy kitchen from a neighborhood BBQ last night, I was torn between feeding my kids a bowl of yogurt for dinner or using up the leftover chicken in our refrigerator.
Fancy, I know.
People often think I always feel like cooking a meal. Can I just tell you... that couldn't be farther from the truth!
Living a healthy lifestyle is a choice I made about ten years ago but I have to continually make that choice....especially with two busy kiddos in the picture now. Trust me, once you make the decision to change your habits around food and health, the desire to eat junk food or take the easy route through the drive through doesn't disappear.
It's a straight-up struggle at times....
One of the ways I find inspiration to do workouts and make healthy meals is by looking through recipe books or fitness magazines around the house. The images both make me hungry (ha!) and inspire me to create something yummy for my family.
Before I dove into creating this soup, I whipped up a cup of joe using cold-brew coffee (I get a growler from Whole Foods), unsweetened almond milk (i used the Malk brand), collagen peptides, a splash of maple syrup and 1/2 tsp cocoa powder blended in my vitamix poured over lots of ice. Protein + coffee is always a win for some cooking motivation.
(Does anyone really live the parent life without coffee??)
If you think you will miss the dairy and flour in this recipe, think again. This is literally the creamiest soup I've ever eaten...and the coconut haters will have no idea it's even made the coconut milk (pinky promise).
We usually go back for seconds with soup, but the healthy fats + filling carbohydrates in this recipe made for a very rich meal.
I hope this soups warms your belly all through the fall and winter season ahead!
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup (GF, DF, Paleo)
2-3 T butter or ghee
1 onion, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb yukon potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 box chicken bone broth (divided)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped small
2 celery stalks, finely diced
3 carrot sticks, chopped
2 1/2 cups leftover crockpot/instapot chicken
1 tsp sage
3 sprigs fresh thyme (remove leaves from stem; or 1 tsp dried thyme)
1 tsp salt + pepper (or to taste)
1. Heat large cast-iron skillet or pot to medium-low heat. Add butter + onion and saute until soft. Add garlic, stirring for 1-2 minutes. Finally, add 1 lb yukon potatoes + 2 cups broth and simmer until you can pierce potatoes with a fork.
2. When potatoes are softened, remove with a slotted spoon and add to a blender with can of coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
3. Add remaining broth from container and sweet potato, celery and carrots. Simmer with the lid on until soft.
4. When veggies are softened, add milk + potato mixture from your blender to pot + the remaining ingredients of chicken and spices.
5. Simmer and stir for 5-10 more minutes to help the flavors mix. Serve hot with some gluten-free biscuits!